Saturday, September 19, 2009

Intense Lemon Pound Cake

My fiance is a huge fan of the Starbucks lemon pound cake, so I decided that I would try my own version of this delicious cake.

After 3 plus hours of zesting, grating mixing and much much more I have finally put the cake in the oven. Anyone who has ever said or thought that the baking of a lemon pound cake is easy is a joker. Don't get me wrong. I had a blast baking this cake, but wasn't quite sure I would ever reach the end of the mixing process and be able to put the cake in the oven.

I should have known I was in for it when I realized that I did not have a zesting tool and 4 large lemons that needed to be zested. I do not recomend zesting lemons with a knife but if you have a lot of time on your hands and a great radio station to sing along with, it can be a quite fulfilling and lemony refreshing hour. After zesting the lemons, I removed the pith (Removing the pith from a fruit such as a lemon is a new process for me. If you were wondering, the pith is the soft white stuff between the outer yellow shell and the inner juicy lemon. ) and seperated the segments and juice from the seeds and membranes. Warning: lemons will squirt all over the place...be prepared. After this lemon process was complete, I moved on, to the normal cake baking process that many of us are already used to. You know how it goes; sugar, flour, eggs, baking soda, etc.

One hourish later I have a beautiful lemon pound cake drizzled in a lemony glaze. Now if I can just keep my fiance away long enough to let the glaze set. Mmmmmm.... I cannot wait to try a slice!!

Happy Baking,
Catherine

1 comment:

  1. So this is definitely the best lemon pound cake I've had. Starbucks doesn't have anything on this. It was a little bit too lemony for the faint of heart, but if you like lemon you will LOVE THIS CAKE! One of my co-workers even said that it was better than is grand-mothers...and anyone who has a grand-mother that bakes knows that is saying a lot :)

    ReplyDelete